top of page

Why are there different First Aid training courses?

Have you been told you need first aid training for your job? If you’ve never done this type of training before you might be a bit confused by all the different first aid courses available, all of which have different titles and course codes etc.

The first thing to keep in mind is that no matter what type of First Aid Training course you do, it will almost always include a course component called CPR training, which is all about how you perform Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) on a person.

You can do a CPR course as a separate course without doing the rest of the First Aid Training. The reason why is that a CPR certificate is only valid for 12 months, whereas a First Aid Course certificate is valid for 3 years. So if you do ANY First Aid course that includes CPR, your overall course certificate will be valid for 3 years, but you will need to do an update of your CPR training every 12 months.

The reason for this is that CPR is probably the most valuable and life-saving skill you learn in First Aid and so you want to be constantly updated on the latest advances in training methods and make sure your skills are well practiced and up to date, particularly if you haven’t had to apply CPR to anyone in the previous 12 months.

So you can do CPR training on its own. The course code for this is HLTAID009 – Provide CPR. If you don’t have a highly specialised job or you have been told you just need to do a “basic first aid course” then you probably need to do the course called HLTAID010 – Provide Basic Emergency Life Support. This course includes CPR training as already explained.

Now the reason why there are other more ‘advanced’ levels of first aid training is because if you work in a specific industry such as teaching, child care or aged care for example, there are specific first aid training courses for these industries that cover additional skills you would need if you are caring for little children or the elderly, such as how to handle an allergic reaction, etc

The course for someone in these industries is called Provide First Aid in an Education & Care Setting and it has a course code of HLTAID012.

Another course that teachers, childcare workers and aged care workers are often asked to do is the more advanced level of training to manage Asthma, Allergies and Emergencies which is called 22556VIC/22578VIC – Course in the Management of Asthma Risks and Emergencies in the Workplace & Course in First Aid Management of Anaphylaxis.

If you are still unsure about which course is right for you, please call our friendly team at Results First Aid Training on 1300 661 065 or visit our website at

You can do your training in person at our advanced training centre in Truganina or down in Geelong or you can do part of your training online and then the rest face-to-face. It’s your choice. Whichever you choose, at Results First Aid we pride ourselves on making our training easy, friendly and informative.


bottom of page